Music Lesson Benefits
Facts from experts
Now Accepting New Students
Lessons at Your Place or Ours!
Choosing the right drum teacher is an important decision, and RhythmicLee Music Studios teachers are simply the best. Contact us now to find out more.
Yearly Music Recital
RhythmicLee students showcase their drumming talents on a big stage, performing songs they've learned. Students, families and friends have fun at these exciting events! Click here for info about our recent shows.
Join Our Team
RhythmicLee Music Studios drum teachers are educated professionals with years of proven experience. To inquire about joining our elite team, please click here.
The Benefits of Taking Music Lessons
Many scientific studies have proven the benefits -- to both children and adults -- of learning a musical instrument. These benefits include:
- Enhanced abstract reasoning skills
- Strengthened eye-hand coordination and fine/gross motor skills
- Improved goal-setting, self-discipline and concentration
- Higher level of cultural literacy
- Higher scores on cognitive development tests.
Quotes from these studies include:
- Childhood music lessons actually enlarge portions of the brain.
German researchers found that the brain area used to analyze musical
pitch is an average of 25% larger in musicians. The younger the musical
training begins, the larger the area.
- Journal of Nature
In a study involving 25,000 students over a period of ten years,
UCLA professor Dr. James Catterall found that, regardless of
socioeconomic background, students involved in music get higher marks in
standardized tests (ex: SAT) and reading proficiency exams, compared to
students who had no music involvement.
- The Imagination Project at UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies
performance is significantly correlated with the music skill achievement
of students...Reading scores also improved most dramatically for those
students with additional music classes.
- Elizabeth Olson, Math and Reading Scores Increase at Minneapolis Public Schools
- Music instruction...has been used effectively to aid beginning
readers by reinforcing their auditory and visual reception and
discrimination abilities, visual sequential memory, and language
reception and expression abilities. Music experiences, thus, may foster
the acquisition of students' basic communication skills.
- Laura J. Andrews and Patricia E. Sink, Integrating Music and Reading Instruction
it is understood that music education can have an important impact on
musical intelligence, there is accumulating a significant amount of
research supporting the impact of music education on all seven [of
Howard Gardner’s basic] intelligences.
- Arthur Harvey, An Intelligence View of Music Education
- Participation in the music program inducts all students into a
unique system of nonverbal symbols through which the noblest thoughts
and feelings of human beings have been expressed and can be
- Charles Leonhard, A Realistic Rational for Teaching Music
After learning eighth, quarter, half and whole notes, second and
third graders scored 100% higher than their peers who were taught
fractions using traditional methods.
- Journal of Neurological Research
majors are better readers and more successful med school applicants. A
study of 7,500 university students revealed that music majors scored the
highest reading scores among all majors including English, biology,
chemistry and math. 66% of music majors who applied to med school were
admitted, the highest percentage of any group. Forty-four percent (44%)
of biochemistry majors were admitted.
- Peter H. Wood, The Comparative Academic Abilities of Students in Education and in Other Areas of a Multi-focus University
And finally, here's a quote from one of today's brightest musician minds.
- Music enhances the education of our children by helping them
make connections and broadening the depth with which they think and
feel. If we are to hope for a society of culturally literate people,
music must be a vital part of our children's education.
- Yo Yo Ma, The Gifts of Music
Contact RhythmicLee Music Studios for more information about the music lessons we offer students of all ages.